Students across the world have been on the frontline of struggles for change. Most recently, people of all ages have been joined by radical students in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, demanding justice for George Floyd and for an end to racist policing.
We have been central to the climate strikes movement, and played a huge role in building solidarity for the UCU strikes. More and more of us are drawing conclusions about how the problems facing us – racism, climate crisis and all oppression – are systemic issues.
As a system, capitalism only knows the language of what is profitable for an exploiting elite – not what is needed by the mass of people around the world, which is becoming more and more obvious each day with the ongoing Coronavirus crisis.
More than ever, our movement needs a Marxist and revolutionary voice.
We believe that the fight against oppression, exploitation and climate chaos has to be the fight for socialist change. This means co-ordinating struggles wherever they emerge. We also believe that to change society we need to understand how capitalism works and that we need to educate ourselves in socialist and Marxist theory. With a movement of students and workers united with anti-racist, climate and anti-oppression campaigners, to build a movement for revolutionary change! If you agree, join SSA today!
Want to get involved? Come along to a meeting near you:
Coventry | Monday 21st September, 7.30pm | Global capitalist crisis and why we need socialism
South London | Friday 25th September, 5pm | Socialist walking tour: a History of Struggle
Liverpool | Monday 28th September, 7.30pm | Introduction to Marxism
Huddersfield | Tuesday 29th September | Why are we still paying full fees with next to no lecture time?
York | Thursday 1st October, 7pm | The housing crisis: What it is and how to fight it
Sheffield | Monday 5th October, 7pm | Global capitalist crisis and why we need socialism
Leicester | Monday 5th October | Introduction to Marxism
North London | Monday 5th October | Introduction to Marxism
Brighton | Tuesday 13th October | The housing crisis: What it is and how to fight it
WHAT WE STAND FOR
- Support rent strikes. Ban evictions and cancel arrears for students and workers renting privately.
- For a living maintenance grant – not loans – for all students.
- Reimburse fees for lost face-to-face teaching hours under Covid-19. Mobilise the student movement and unions together to fight for free education on demand.
- Fight to kick the market out of education. For a fully-funded, free and democratic public Further/Higher education system, based on meeting the needs of students and not of overpaid Vice-Chancellors.
- For fully-funded mental health support in all schools, college and universities, to be provided and funded by a massive increase in funding from the wealth of the billionaire class.
- Build the movement for black lives. Form BLM assemblies in every town and city to democratically plan the way ahead for the movement. Mobilise trade union power to push back the racist far-right.
- For socialist feminism. Capitalism is a system that thrives on the oppression of women. Strike to end the gender pay gap!
- Queer liberation, not rainbow capitalism. LGBTQ+ people still face widespread discrimination in the workplace and in society generally. Our movements must challenge all backward ideas and be central to the struggle for freedom for all – regardless of orientation.
- The pandemic will end up risking the livelihoods of many part-time working students, probably for years to come. The trade unions must step up to organise us in the workplace to demand work for all. Fight any or all job losses and maintain all contracts!
- For an immediate £12/hour minimum wage, as a step towards a £15/hour living wage for all – no to age discrimination in pay for under-25s!
- Students should link up with campus unions when they take action against cuts and redundancies – students and workers unite!
- Build a militant, anticapitalist climate strike movement. Unite students and workers in the global struggle to save our planet.
- Nationalise the big polluters. Worldwide, 100 companies are responsible for 70% of global emissions. We say nationalise the big polluters, starting with the energy companies, under democratic control. That way it would be possible to begin to embark on a just transition away from fossil fuels and towards renewable energy, safeguarding existing jobs and creating millions more in the process
CAPITALISM IS CRISIS – FIGHT FOR SOCIALIST REVOLUTION!
- Take the wealth off the capitalists! Nationalise the banks and major companies under democratic control, to lay the basis for a socialist future.